Saturday, August 3, 2013

Building assisting muscles, video samples of my training

by Alex

This post is about making two points.

1. showing what I ment by training muscles that assist in the important movements I'm working now.
2. the importance of working antagonist muscle groups and how to save time doing it

nothing wrong with pumping it up!

In this video  is an example of what i do now to strengthen the chest and shoulders. They are important in training hand balancing and pullups. Building the shoulder girlde will also prevent damage when going for maximal strength in such movements. I use slightly higher repetitions than on my main movement training.

Flyes and rear delt flyes are not movements that I want to perfect or think are awesomely cool, but they are good for assistance. As you see,I  pair the antagonist muscle groups here to save time and I don't think they interfere with my performance, although I don't care much if I perform my best when doing higher rep work like this.

In this video I train forearm pumping. This is a complement to my finger training to build the surrounding muscles of the forearm and pump blood into the area. One thing I do for fingers is dead hang on a small edge, like in this video and I like to have the finger strength to do stuff like in this video: edge front levers

I trained antagonists here as well. Brachioradialis in the first set of cross body hammer curls and the flexors in the set of wrist curls.

I believe these lighter things have benefit for me to keep training the harder stuff without getting injured and to keep progressing witout weak links.

What do you think of the subject? Well needed or unnessecary energy wasted?


2 comments:

  1. Well needed. I have neglected muscle pumping exercises in the past in favor of "compound movements" and, while I've never been seriously injured, definitely experienced unnecessary setbacks and pains as a result.

    Wit full-body lifts the body will inevitably resort to the path of least resistance, i.e. rely on the strongest muscle groups to do as much work as possible and under-utilize the weak ones. So any imbalance you may have will only get more pronounced if you don't address it. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Fatman! I agree, it's at least good not to rule out assisting exercises even if the bulk of the training is done with bigger quality lifts!

    Some people tend to "pick a side" with these things, and I believe that can be very limiting for progress and as a general mental state!

    / Alex

    ReplyDelete